Christmas Warning


"I hate, I despise your feast days, and I do not savor your sacred assemblies. Though you offer Me burnt offerings and your grain offerings, I will not accept them, Nor will I regard your fattened peace offerings. Take away from Me the noise of your songs, For I will not hear the melody of your stringed instruments. But let justice run down like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream." Amos 5:21-24

Okay, so this may not be the most uplifting text but, as I read it last night, I felt like it was a warning to my own heart about the upcoming "feast" of Christmas. There are so many traditions and fun things we have added to Christmas (which are not wrong in and of themselves) that often the very reason FOR Christmas is crowded out by the busyness OF Christmas. I think it's easy for believers to become a bunch of Marthas instead of a bunch of Marys at this time of year. Or let me rephrase that, I can become more like Martha and less like Mary at this time of year. And why do we have to guard our hearts against that?

Because Jesus wants our hearts more than He wants a fancy feast. Jesus wants our adoration more than Christmas carols sung on tune but without thought. Jesus wants our devotion and obedience more than He wants a life consumed with the festivities of one day. Jesus wants our relationship with Him and His Word to be the center of our thoughts and desires this Christmas and always.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kristen, I missed you when you weren't posting much! YOu always bless me. I am praying for your family. Love, Liz Johnson