I want a checklist but God wants my heart


"Formerly, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to those that by nature are not gods. But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more? You observe days and months and seasons and years! I am afraid that I may have labored over you in vain." Galatians 4:9-11

As a believer, I know the immense freedom that comes from being a slave of Christ. I know the sweet joy that comes from having the Lord has my portion, my hope, my deepest love. I know that peace that comes from obeying His Word and clinging to it.

But I also know just how dumb I can be! How single minded I can be...not in obedience to the Word of God but in my desire to accomplish MY goals, MY checklists, MY plans. I may not observe days, months, seasons, and years...but I am quick to observe and pursue my own agenda. I become a slave to what is worthless, to what does not last. I exchange an eternal perspective for a temporal one.

And I know just how easy it is to do at Christmas time. I want to be a good steward of my time, I want to be organized, I want to be wise...so I make lists, and I make plans! But before I know it, the checklist is my goal and my plan is my "god" and I am a slave to what is worthless.

God wants to be the goal of everything we do. He wants to be served in our hearts, thoughts, and actions. One way we can do that is by serving others...and that often means throwing aside the checklist, letting go of the plan and, instead, ministering to the people that God has placed in our lives and in our homes this Christmas (and always). I often want a checklist, but God wants a surrendered heart!

"Lord you have my heart
And I will search for yours
Jesus take my life and lead me on.

Lord, you have my heart
And I will search for yours
Let me be to you a sacrifice."
Delirious

Comments