Knowing God

It made me chuckle just a bit to think that the post I am about to write now comes right on the heels of my high recommendation of a parenting book.

Let me explain.

I am so thankful for good, sound Christian living books. So very thankful. God has used them to grow me in my parenting, my role as a wife and pastor's wife, in spiritual disciplines, in homemaking...and I could go on. Their value has been immeasurable and the list of those I still want to read is sky high.

But.

My heart has been stirred and a wee bit convicted that I spend much of my reading time trying to learn and know what God wants me to be and not nearly enough time seeking to "simply" know God!

"But let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD.”  Jeremiah 9:24

The more I read, study, and meditate on GOD means the more I will KNOW Him. And the more I know Him, the more I will become who He wants me to be in all the other areas of my life.

"We all, with unveiled faces, are looking as in a mirror at the glory of the Lord and are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory; this is from the Lord who is the Spirit." 
2 Corinthians 3:18 


“Once you become aware that the main business that you are here for is to know God, most of life's problems fall into place of their own accord.” 

“The healthy Christian is not necessarily the extrovert, ebullient Christian, but the Christian who has a sense of God's presence stamped deep on his soul, who trembles at God's word, who lets it dwell in him richly by constant meditation upon it, and who tests and reforms his life daily in response to it.”
                                                                                                                                                  -  J.I Packer

So, one of my aims this year is to read fewer books about "how to be_____", and more books on the attributes, character, and words of God.

Above all, though, may we all be students of THE Word, the Bible, as we seek to know God!



Comments

Matt5verse6 said…
Totally off topic here but, CONGRATULATIONS to your Boston Red Socks!!! Woot woot! Rejoicing with you. :-)
Kristin said…
Brook...you totally made me crack up! :) Thanks...for remembering and rejoicing! :)
Matt5verse6 said…
My pleasure! I'll be back, soon, to wish Grace a VERY happy birthday!!! ;-)
Matt5verse6 said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GRACE!!! I can't believe how time flies! I pray your day is full of unexpected blessings! We miss you guys! Much love!
Kristin said…
Brook...you are so sweet to remember!!!
Much love back at you and have a wonderful, Merry Christmas!!!!