Christ IN me!

Do you ever read a book or a chapter and feel like all you do is underline because it's THAT good! Well, chapter 10 of "Practical Theology for Women" by Wendy Alsup has been given much underlining. So has much of her book for that matter! Anyway, she shared a beautiful thought that I wanted to piggy back off of...here is what she says:

"If you belong to God, then you and Christ are supernaturally connected. (Col 1:17) However, instead of seeing ourselves as connected to Christ at all times, we tend to view our... relationship with God in the terms of intersecting moments during the day. We think that the more times our lives intersect with God, the more "spiritual" we are. In this paradigm, God goes on his way, and I go on my way until we intersect at another corner later that day, week, month, or year. Instead, we need to think of ourselves as walking with Jesus continuously, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are a believer, Christ is with you, in you, holding you together at all times. The goal is for us to be aware of that reality and live in the light of it, for Christ warns us that apart from Him we can do nothing (John 15)."


 I couldn't help but think that this truth of "Christ in us" is very similar to being pregnant. When I was pregnant, I was very much aware that there was a baby growing inside of me. Sure, there were times that I didn't "think about it", caught up in the busyness of the moment. But, on the whole, my thoughts often went to the precious life growing inside. All of my life was filtered through the reality that there was someone inside of me. Should I eat this? Should I rest right now? Would this be good for the baby? What kind of mom would I have been if I didn't live in the light of the reality that there was another little person growing inside my womb?!

Jesus is IN me! My days of pregnancy are but a dim illustration of the magnificent truth that Christ is "with me, in me, holding me together at all times"!! Yet, what kind of Christ follower am I really? How often do I truly walk in that reality? How often are my thoughts, affections, and actions filtered through God's Word and empowered by the Holy Spirit? How often do I abide in His presence and remain in His presence?

I am so thankful that it is CHRIST who is holding on to me! My grasp is often so weak, and my hold easily releases. But I am kept by His power and amazing grace! Truly, thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!!!

Comments