Ordered and Secured

King David.

He was a guy who knew all about trials, suffering, pain, uncertainty, and fear. He had many different roles throughout his life: shepherd, warrior, aid to the king, fugitive, madman, rebel, faithful friend, protector, defender, sinner, murderer, king, to name a few.  There is much we can learn from David's life...both what to do and what not to do. His life is well worth studying because anyone who is known as a "man after God's own heart" is worth learning from!

At the end of 2 Samuel you'll find David's "Song of Thanksgiving" and his last words. It's beautiful and there is much to learn about our great God and how to praise Him. Near the end of his final words, David says something that had me pausing to ponder which led my heart to praising the Lord.

"Is it not true that my house is with God? For He has established an everlasting covenant with me, ordered and secured in every detail. Will He not bring about my whole salvation and my every desire?"      2 Samuel 23:5


David reminded me that this world is not my home, merely a layover on the way to Glory. Yes, there may be trials, uncertainty, and suffering in this layover...but my "ticket" has been bought with the blood of Christ and my final destination, my whole salvation, is secure.

"Yet I am always with You; You hold my right hand. You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterwards You will take me up to glory. Whom do I have in heaven but You? And I desire nothing on earth but You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."   Psalm 73:23-26

Not only is my final destination secure but every moment, every detail of my life, has been ordered and secured. Yes, there may be trials, uncertainty, and suffering but there is no room for fear, manipulation, impatience, ungodly anger, or worry. I am "encircled" by the Lord and His hand is upon me (Psalm 139). Not only is His hand upon me, He is holding ON to me!

"Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will hold on to you with My righteous right hand."  Isaiah 41:10

What hope, what joy, what peace there is when we not only KNOW these truths, but WALK in these truths...when they impact they way we think, talk, and act!

Oh, that the pathway from my head to my heart would be clear of any doubting and sin that so easily entangles....that it would be a pathway that brings a steady stream of God's truth to the soil of my heart...and that it would bear the sweet fruit of obedience and righteousness!


Comments